Monday, October 10, 2011

Honey Corn Muffins



I've always loved cornbread. I am very picky about my cornbread however. I don't want my cornbread to be dry and crunchy. I don't so much as mind it being crunchy I suppose, just as long as that doesn't lend to it being dry. More important to me is it being moist. Cornmeal has a tendency to dry out baked goods so it's hard to find a decent cornbread sometimes. Especially down here in the South... no offense. Not a fan. Anyways, I have a recipe that I very much like for cornbread here. You can also read more about my cornbread ranting there also.



However! This post is about corn muffins. Similar, but not the same. Muffins themselves tend to be dry because they so easily become over baked. These are NOT dry. NOT. I promise. They are made with buttermilk which improves the moistness and offers tenderness to the crumb.


And you read right. These are honey corn muffins. They don't scream honey when you bite into them, but there is definitely a signature sweetness that the honey brings to the table. Subtle and just right. Not only are these sweetened by honey, but they also have a tad granulated sugar and brown sugar to them. I know... some of you are probably appalled about the whole sugar in the corn muffin thing. Get over it. These are fantastic. The "Baked" owners never let me down.




Honey Corn Muffins
adapted from "Baked Explorations" by Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito
Print Recipe

2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt




Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray each cup of a standard 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray making sure spread evenly along the bottom and up the sides of each cup.
In a medium bowl lightly whisk the eggs. Then whisk in the buttermilk, honey and butter until combined and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, both sugars and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and fold the dry into the wet until just combined.
Fill each muffin cup about three quarters full. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment